About Me

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
All of life comes down to this: To know God and to make him known.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Novel Excitement!

    I am officially a nerd when it comes to teaching English. I'll tell you why in just a moment... but first let's rewind. After a long and incredible Mardi Gras break, which I spent on the beautiful campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX, I returned on Wednesday with lesson planning to do. MGO was so good... Our team was incredible and the friends and impact we made on SMU's campus was amazing. It's no wonder that when I got home, I had no desire whatsoever to do anything productive, and judging by the way the students were acting on Thursday, neither did they. Coach and I referred to the first day back as "Mursday." It was Thursday, but it FELT like a Monday.
      So we spent those two ridiculous days after Mardi Gras watching the old Romeo and Juliet movie and making Facebook profiles. Yes, you heard me right! My students and I made Facebook pages on paper for characters from Romeo and Juliet. I've never seen them work so well on anything! Talk about bring character analysis to a whole new level! (Hashtag teacher win!) That wrapped up the unit on drama. On Friday, my students and I FINISHED the adventure that was Shakespeare! And it was indeed an adventure. To be honest, (or in the words of my students, TBH) I'd be content to never read Romeo and Juliet again! (But I am going to be an English teacher, so I realize that is highly unlikely. Haha!)
     Finishing Romeo and Juliet was definitely exciting. I feel like I can teach ANYTHING now! I've just spent the afternoon planning for the next unit we're doing. Unlike Romeo and Juliet, this whole unit happens to be my favorite! It's the Novel unit!! I am teaching two novels. One is called That Was Then, This is Now, to get us started. It's a short little book by the same author that wrote The Outsiders, so I'm pretty sure my classes will love it. When we're done with that, we'll start... Drum roll please... THE HUNGER GAMES!! I am so excited that I might just dance with joy every single day. This is one of the best books I have EVER read, and I can't wait to teach it! I love, love, love novels, and specifically young adult novels have a special place in my heart. I openly call myself a nerd because as I sat down to plan today, I was legitimately excited! Not only are we doing something that ISN'T Shakespeare, but I can't wait to try out these activities with my students and have some fun with our novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment