About Me

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
All of life comes down to this: To know God and to make him known.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 16, 2012

I will never, ever forget this day. At 8:35 this morning, my sweet Papaw, Charles Murphy Cornwell, passed away, just two weeks before his 92nd birthday. On Tuesday, he went out to his boat to go fishing, like he does almost every day. Only this time, as he climbed in and grabbed the steering wheel, he lost consciousness due to a severe stroke. He didn't quite make it out to the water that day. We would find out later that the stroke occurred in the stem of his brain, and wiped out over 90% of his brain activity, beyond repair.

I was sitting at campfire at Pine Lake Fellowship Camp that Tuesday night when I got the call. The next day I headed home to be with Papaw and my family. We honored Papaw's wishes to not resuscitate him, or to provide life support to his body when his brain was no longer functioning. The doctor informed us that once life support was removed, he would have 12 hours at most.

Well... let's just say the doctor completely underestimated the strength and the stubbornness of this Cornwell.  It was more like three days. Our family spent this time surrounding him and each other with love. Around his bed, we sang, read from Psalms, and talked to Papaw. I spent a few minutes alone with him, telling him I loved him and that I'll see him again soon. So when the day finally came for him to breathe his last breath, in the comfort of his own home, there were both tears and an unexplainable peace in the room.


Papaw was one of the strongest, most kind-hearted people I've ever known. He's also the best fisherman and the best husband I've ever met!  These last few days have been hectic and heart-breaking. Yet in the midst of everything, I've truly experienced a  God-given peace that truly does, as they say, surpass all understanding.

In all of this, I’ve learned a whole lot. But most of all I’ve witnessed just how powerful love really is. Last night, Papaw’s last night of life (in a physical sense, at least), I watched as Mamaw insisted we set up a bed next to Papaw’s hospital bed, because she wanted to sleep next to him. All through the night, and all morning, she held an unconscious man’s hand. She refused to let go, even though he was completely unaware of her presence (as far as we know). Seeing her there, clinging to Papaw in his last few hours, proved to me that love in its purest form still exists. It proves to me that devotion and commitment in marriage really can last forever. It is by far one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment