One of the recurring symbols in the book is the idea of the main character, Katniss, being "the girl on fire." This nickname is derived from her costume for the Hunger Games' opening ceremony, when her stylist dresses her in synthetic flames. Katniss is herself a fiery, spirited character... It's a beautiful metaphor.I've been thinking about this term a lot, "girl on fire." I think about how it's Katniss's spirit and determination that sets her apart from the rest of the players in the Games.I love this character and everything about her. In fact, I want to be like her. I want to be the girl on fire! But in a different way.
Growing up in church, I've often heard people use the term "on fire for God" to describe people who were completely, 100% committed to God, to pursuing Him and His purpose for their lives. This term was meant for those who loved God with everything they had, and let their lives serve as the evidence of their relationship with Him. It's sort of a description of a super-Christian. We all know someone who is evidently "on fire for God."
As a teacher in the public school system (okay, student teacher, but you know what I mean), I am surrounded by coworkers and students alike who are far, far away from God. And ya know what? I consider it MY responsibility to minister to these people, both in the things I say and, even more, in what I do. I want to be so "on fire" for God that people notice. I want to have a spirit and determination of the same caliber as Katniss's. Only I don't want my flame to be synthetic, fake, and artificial. I want MY fire, my spirit, to be inspired and fueled by the Holy Spirit. This Spirit that has the power to overcome death and darkness. I want my students and fellow teachers to see me as the girl on fire... On fire for God.

No comments:
Post a Comment