About Me

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
All of life comes down to this: To know God and to make him known.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

He Keeps Calling.


Joel and I have a really special and wonderful relationship. Though we are quite opposite personalities, the way we compliment each others' weaknesses still amazes me. I truly believe that only a very creative Maker would be able to put together such a match. This wouldn't be much of a mission blog if I didn't include one of the most important people in my life, the one who encourages me in my faith daily. I love that boy more than just about anything... However, I won't pretend that we're always perfect and never argue over anything. In fact, today we did just that. I was upset enough not to want to talk, and just wanted time to vent. Ya know, typical woman, right? So I told Joel this and hung up, promising we'd sort it out after I'd cooled down.

Joel called about 20 minutes later. He wasn't going to be around his phone for a couple of hours, and wanted to try to talk things out before he was out of contact. However, stubborn girl that I am, I still was not ready to talk. So, I shamefully admit, I silenced my phone and didn't answer. Two hours later, he tried again. And again. Then a text, just saying that he loved me. About this time I decided it was time I stop being childish and address the issue at hand. Of course, I can never stay mad for long at this boy. But the point is, even when I pushed him away, he kept calling. He told me later that though he thought he might annoy me, he'd rather ere on the side of being obnoxious than make me feel like he didn't care that I was upset.

As I'm reflecting now, I see that God is very much like that with His beloved people. He gently calls us into relationship with Himself, even when we block Him out and push Him away. He never forces us to acknowledge his existence, but He never gives up on hoping we might one day answer His calling. The human love that we experience is only a minute imitation of the love of God for his people... And I am assured that He will never stop caring, even if the love is not returned, and He will never, ever stop calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment