Today we did more school programs, and reached hundreds of kids. Ahh, so awesome... I can't explain to you the feeling that this kind of work gives. But one part stood out more than anything. At one of the schools, I noticed a small boy with his arm wrapped in an ace bandage. I felt this incredible urge to pray for him, so I grabbed Adonay (since I don't speak Spanish) and asked him to come pray for this boy with me. We knelt and prayed with him, and as we did, he started to cry. I watched as Adonay spoke to him and comforted him, pushing the boy's hair out of his eyes and wiping his tears. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I prayed with them anyway. When we left the program and got back onto the bus, I asked Adonay what the boy had shared with him. What he told me brought me to tears. Apparently his parents had been fighting, and he somehow got mixed up in it. He got thrown to the side, breaking his arm. He told Adonay that his friends kept asking, but he was to ashamed to tell them that it was his parents that hurt him. He was in a lot of pain that day. As Adonay finished his story, I could barely hold myself together. I put my head on A

donay's shoulder and cried... and cried... and cried.
As I began to calm down, Adonay lifted my face up and looked me in the eyes. In spanish that I couldn't understand, translated by Nick, he said, "Lindsay, if your heart is this broken for these kids, then this is your calling." We named the boy Rene Luis, so that we'd have a way to identify him. But he is just one of the thousands of kids who experience that stuff on a daily basis. I will never forget that little boy. And I will never doubt that God placed me in that school on that day to pray with that child who so desperately needs the hope of Christ.

No comments:
Post a Comment