About Me

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
All of life comes down to this: To know God and to make him known.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Saddest Goodbye Ever.


Well, I'm back in America. Today was quite possibly one of the saddest days of my life.

We woke up at the crack of dawn (literally) to see the sunrise over the mountains on our last morning in this beautiful country. Then we headed back to pack everything up, ate breakfast, and said our goodbyes to Castillo del Ray. We loaded the bus for a two hour ride to the airport... My heart got heavier and heavier with every mile Adonay and I sat listening to my iPod, turns out he loves Matthew Wests's song "The Motions" as much as he loves High School Musical. We also listened to "Say Goodbye" by Skillet... How fitting. :(

On the bus ride to the airport Nick also explained to me the meaning behind the turtles we wore around our necks that matched our Salvadorian friend's necklace. He explained to me that when sea turtle eggs hatch, they hatch on land and the turtles must crawl to the ocean where they spend the rest of their lives. In order to make it to the ocean without being eaten or dried out by the sun, they must, as Adonay says, "Try with all of their heart." We as Christians, and as carriers of the message of Christ, are very much like sea turtles.

Arrival at the airport... Quite interesting. The walking canes I bought as souvenirs for my grandma and dad were too big to fit in the suitcase, and they wouldn't let me carry them on, so they ended up plastic wrapped to my suitcase looking quite silly. And then... it was time for goodbyes.

I must have hugged each of our national students five times, thanking them for making us feel welcome and for faithfully serving God.. I actually promised myself I wouldn't cry... Which lasted, oh, about 2 minutes. As we walked to the gates, I watched behind me until at last Jacob, Amanda, Zayra, Miriam, and Adonay faded out of sight. I wondered then if I would ever see my brothers and sisters again.

We sat at the gate in a strange mixture of sadness at leaving and cheerfulness to be going home. I couldn't believe as we boarded the plane that we were actually leaving. As I felt the wheels leave the ground, the tears began again. "Please," I prayed silently, "Please, God, bring me back to this place one day... Please..."

Never have I missed a place so much. I have watched our video ten times, and still can't manage to get through without the waterworks. Children of El Salvador, take care of my heart until we meet again. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment