About Me

My photo
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
All of life comes down to this: To know God and to make him known.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Here's to Pine Lake


So, tonight in my English methods class, we talked about the writing process. We discussed "writing territories," which are experiences, memories, and pieces of life that are unique to each individual. These territories are things that have the potential to become powerful pieces of writing, and as teachers it's our responsibility to stir up these things within our students and make them into powerful writers.

My teacher (who I absolutely love and adore) asked us to pick one of our own "territories" and spend ten minutes writing about it. The product of that ten minutes was surprising to me... I think it came out pretty good, so I thought I'd share. Don't laugh at me, as I am certainly not a poet. I am, however, passionate about the things I write about. And so, here's a little piece of my life...


Here’s to the buzz of mosquitoes and the smelly lake
To the out of touch with what’s outside the gates
To no AC and making friends
To cabin two and Otter’s Den
Here’s to growing out of monkey bars
But still crying when you load the cars
Here’s to the campfires and the songs
To the heart-to-hearts and all night longs
To capture the flag and giant foursquare,
To JEF LANDIS is the man and messy hair
Here’s to sweaty and smelly and sticky and sleepy
To that one right song that gets you weeping
Here’s to camp romances that never last
And the special ones that make it past
The seven weeks that aren’t enough
Here’s to your counselor and leaving all your stuff
Here’s to leaving different than you came
And coming back to the familiar ache
Of life and love and beauty
Here’s to Pine Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment